Humita/Corn Empanada Filling. For this recipe I've recreated my favourite flavour – humita or corn empanadas. For the first half of the year we lived in Buenos Aires studying Spanish and getting to know his extended family who live there. Make the filling: Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Humitas is the name for a whole family of baked or steamed foods made with pureed fresh corn that are found all over South America, and they're so good you'll feel as if you're getting away with something with every delicious bite. As with most regional recipes, there are many. In a large bowl, combine corn, onion mixture (sofrito), mozzarella, Parmesan and parsley and mix. You can have Humita/Corn Empanada Filling using 21 ingredients and 18 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Humita/Corn Empanada Filling
- Prepare of Turnover dough for Empanadas (see recipe here in Rosanas Ideas).
- You need of The filling:.
- Prepare of Ingredients:.
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of butter.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of oil.
- You need 24 oz of fresh corn or frozen corn.
- It’s 3 of sweet onions finely chopped.
- You need 4 of garlic cloves finely chopped.
- You need 1/2 tablespoon of white pepper.
- You need 1 of vegetable bouillon.
- Prepare of Salt (to taste).
- It’s 100 grams of Parmesan cheese.
- It’s 1 cup of corn starch.
- You need of White Sauce/Bechamel:.
- It’s 750 ml of milk.
- It’s of Ingredients:.
- It’s 1 stick of butter / butter (4 oz.).
- Prepare 1 cup of cold milk.
- Prepare 1/2 tablespoon of salt.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper.
- It’s 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg (optional).
To form the empanadas, knead the dough. Roll the dough out by hand or with a commercial sheeter. The Humita Empanadas are a stable in the Argentinean community and here chef Daniel shares his recipe for deliciously crispy empanadas with creamy corn filling. Transfer the filling to a bowl and cool slightly.
Humita/Corn Empanada Filling step by step
- Ingredients for the Filling:.
- Preheat a pan over medium heat, add butter and oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, sauté until translucent.
- Add pepper, vegetable bouillon, mix.
- Add the corn, mix.
- Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes (frozen) or 5-10 minutes fresh Taste to adjust the salt (reserve).
- White Sauce/Bechamel Ingredients:.
- Place the cold milk in a bowl, add the corn starch, mix (reserve).
- In a microwave safe container heat the liter of milk for 3 1/2 minutes.
- In a non-stick frying pan melt the butter at low temperature.
- Raise the temperature to medium / high, add the preheated milk.
- Add the reserved mixture, salt and nutmeg.
- Stir continuously with wooden spoon until it takes a thick consistency (reserve).
- To finish the recipe:.
- Combine the filling with the White sauce / Bechamel.
- Add the parmesan cheese, mix (reserve).
To assemble the empanadas, divide the dough into twelve equal pieces. Take a spoonful of the mixture on the center of each empanada disc, and brush the edges with the egg wash. Seal the empanadas with your choice of. Empanadas are endlessly variable depending on region, season and how you're grandmother may have made these delightful filled pastries. While traveling through Argentina, I sampled my favorite iteration of them all, "Empanadas Humitas" which translates to "Empanada with Corn".